by Dallas Car & Truck Accident Attorney, Tim O’Hare
Salt trucks were out prepping highways overnight in the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex in preparation for what may be our first blast of winter weather. Are you and the other drivers in your home ready for the possibility of slick, icy or even snowy roads?
As Texans, we don’t get much practice driving on slick roads, so it’s a good time to be reminded that winter weather can make driving conditions unpredictable and dangerous. Take some time to review these winter weather driving safety tips from the Texas Department of Transportation.
Dangerous conditions to watch for:
- Loss of pavement friction due to wet, snow-covered or icy conditions
- Restricted visibility due to fog, falling rain or vehicle spray
- Lane obstruction due to standing water or plowed or blowing snow
- Infrastructure damage (such as a washed-out road)
If you must get out on the roads in these conditions, follow these driving safety tips:
- Slow down. Keep in mind that speed limits are set based on normal road conditions. Winter weather makes the road conditions unpredictable, so give yourself some extra time.
- Increase following distance. On ice or snow, TxDOT recommends maintaining a following distance at least three times the normal following distance.
- Stay back at least 200 feet from snow removal equipment.
- Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses, and shaded areas.
- Don’t slam on your brakes. If you start to slide, gently ease off the gas pedal or brakes and turn your steering wheel in the direction of the skid until you regain control.
In the event you are involved in a car accident on icy or snowy roads, follow the same protocol you would in any weather. Turn off your car engine and turn on hazard lights; do not leave the scene of the accident; call 9-1-1; exchange information; photograph and document the accident; and ask the police to file an accident report.
If you have been seriously injured or lost a family member in a car accident or a truck accident, contact The Law Offices of Tim O’Hare to speak with a Dallas personal injury attorney.
Call The Law Offices of Tim O’Hare for your FREE Case Evaluation
972-960-0000 or Toll-Free 888-960-0020